Addition With (& Without) Regrouping Lesson Workbook
Double-Digit Addition & Subtraction, No Regrouping
Addition with Regrouping, Two- Three- & Four-Digits
48 Step-by-Step Math Lessons | Special Education Math Intervention
This Addition without and with Regrouping lesson workbook includes an example IEP goal, 48 step-by-step math lessons, reviews and assessments. This evidence-based math intervention is tied to second grade standards and is great for special education math goals and tier 2 small group math interventions (RTI).
These sequential lessons are easy to teach, with enough material for 10 weeks of instruction!
These lessons teach the standard algorithm for adding multi-digit numbers with no regrouping. Students learn to re-write horizontal problems vertically, lining up the tens and ones columns. Students first learn to add two-digit to two-digit numbers. Later they learn to add two-digit to one-digit numbers.
These lessons teach the standard algorithm for adding multi-digit numbers with regrouping. First, students learn how to carry and how to recognize whether it is necessary. Then they practice re-writing horizontal problems vertically before adding. Grid lines assist with lining up columns.
There are problem sets for two-digit, three-digit, and four-digit numbers, as well as three and four addends. Each section has its own word problems, review, and test.
With this one workbook, students can progress incrementally from first grade to fourth grade addition standards.
Click Here to Preview
(Preview PDF will automatically download to your computer. If it doesn't open, you may need to find it in your downloads folder.)
This PDF Download Includes:
10 Weeks of Instruction
Students Will Be Able To:
Two-Digit Addition & Subtraction with No Regrouping
- Add two-digit numbers to two-digit numbers, no regrouping
- Subtract two-digit numbers from two-digit numbers, no regrouping
- Understand when zeros should be written in a difference
- Rewrite horizontal problems vertically
- Add two-digit numbers to one-digit numbers, no regrouping
- Subtract one-digit numbers from two-digit numbers, no regrouping
- Solve one-step word problems
Two- Three- & Four Digit Addition with Regrouping
- Two-digit addition, regroup from ones to tens
- Two-digit addition, rewriting problems vertically to solve word problems
- Three-digit addition, regroup from ones to tens
- Three-digit and two-digit addition, regroup from tens to hundreds
- Three-digit addition, regroup to both tens and hundreds
- Three-digit addition, rewrite problems vertically to solve word problems
- Add three two-digit numbers (ones column totals less than 20)
- Add four two-digit numbers, regroup to both tens and hundreds
- Rewrite multi-addend problems vertically to solve word problems
- Four-digit addition, regroup to both tens and hundreds
- Four-digit and three-digit addition, regroup to thousands
- Four-digit addition, regroup to ten thousands
- Four-digit addition, rewrite problems vertically to solve word problems
Teacher Feedback on Double-Digit Addition & Subtraction No Regrouping:
❤️ “Oh how I love this! I used it for the first time with my first graders and I like how it has a step-by-step process that is easy to follow. It made it easy to understand.”
❤️ "This has been such a great resource! I have tried other math programs that were either too advanced or moved too slowly. This is perfect for the pace and level my students are at. I have seen great improvement from past years. -Sarah A.
❤️ "I needed to teach 2-digit addition and subtraction and liked the way it went through the steps on the worksheets on how to do it for my ASD students. I liked the fact that the front of the worksheet had guided practice and the back had independent work. It was wonderfully done. Thank you." -Robin B.
❤️ "Your resources have been a game changer for my special education classroom. The layout of the workbook and the way each skill is systematically taught has been extremely useful!" -Jenneane C.
❤️ "Angela's math resources are perfect for my multi-level special education class. They provide straight-forward simple directions and visually UNcluttered pages. Our regular education math curriculum is confusing and visually overstimulating. My students have made great progress using your math units! Thank you!!! I wish there were a higher rating!" -Amy C.
❤️ "Simple steps and explanations helped my ELL students tremendously. Thank you." -L G.
❤️ "This is one of the best resources out there! Worked wonders with my students!" -Erin M.
❤️ "I've been using this resource for a week now and I can already see my students' confidence soar!" -Caitlyn D.
Teacher Feedback on Addition with Regrouping:
❤️ "This intervention has been amazing! It is comprehensive enough to see if students really understand how to carry. I have students who would break down when they saw a double-digit question, now they are pros and ready for the triple digits!” -Jennifer E.
❤️ "Comprehensive, logical and helps teachers isolate deficits in prerequisite skills. Thank you!”
❤️ “Very well laid out with clear instructions. My students had a lot of success with this product. Thanks.”
❤️ “Great resource, love how you identify all the prerequisite skills needed.”
❤️ “After purchasing your subtraction with regrouping set, I had to purchase the addition with regrouping, too. It is such a timesaver, and it has been effective with my kiddos struggling with regrouping. Well worth every penny!”
❤️ “This was an awesome resource for teaching a concept that is difficult for my students! Completely scaffolded and no prep!" -Kerri T.
❤️ “This was by far the best resource I have ever bought. I continue to use it and it is so helpful to the students to have the steps broken down. Worth a million dollars to me!!" - Jet Girl
❤️ “Well thought out and put together. I use it for one-on-one instruction and independent work in special education. The method is a standard carry that is presented in an easy to follow format." -Patricia S.
❤️ “I have students of different levels working on different things for their IEPs so this is a great resource that works for multiple abilities and levels! It helps lay the math foundation that my students have gaps in." -Taylor H.
❤️ “As always, your workbooks are the BEST materials I have used to teach my class for 2nd-4th graders with disabilities!” -Martha C.
❤️ “I am using several of these units with a couple of students who experienced prenatal alcohol and drug exposure and am using some on an as-needed basis with other students as well. I have seen the main students I purchased this for go from being completely overwhelmed and shut down in math to being excited to show me their progress each day. I cannot recommend these highly enough!" -Melissa H.
❤️ “The different levels reached my enrichment group and my reteach group.”
❤️ “These were great for my students who just weren't getting it!”
❤️ “AMAZING RESOURCE! I used this for weeks with my students. Thank you!”
❤️ “This is a fantastic resource to have for my kids who struggle with regrouping! I am so glad that I bought this! Thank you!”
❤️ “Perfect resource for my Tier II intervention group!”
❤️ “This has helped my students so much!”
Lessons Are Tied to These Standards:
First Grade CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.1.NBT.C.4
Add within 100, including adding a two-digit number and a one-digit number, and adding a two-digit number and a multiple of 10, using concrete models or drawings and strategies based on place value, properties of operations, and/or the relationship between addition and subtraction; relate the strategy to a written method and explain the reasoning used. Understand that in adding two-digit numbers, one adds tens and tens, ones and ones; and sometimes it is necessary to compose a ten.
Second Grade CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.2.NBT.B.6
Add up to four two-digit numbers using strategies based on place value and properties of operations.
Second Grade CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.2.NBT.B.5
Fluently add and subtract within 100 using strategies based on place value, properties of operations, and/or the relationship between addition and subtraction.
Third Grade CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.3.NBT.A.2
Fluently add and subtract within 1000 using strategies and algorithms based on place value, properties of operations, and/or the relationship between addition and subtraction.
Fourth Grade CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.4.NBT.B.4
Fluently add and subtract multi-digit whole numbers using the standard algorithm.
📘 This resource is also found in these discounted bundles:
Not sure where to start?
Step-by-Step Math to Mastery™ Resources:
✰ Make math easier to understand.
- Help students over math hurdles with clear, sequential, scaffolded lessons.
- Prevent overwhelm. Build student confidence.
✰ Make math easier to teach.
- Save hours of planning and piecing together materials.
- Paraeducators can deliver quality instruction independently. Open & teach.
Reasons You'll Love Step-by-Step Math to Mastery™ Resources
- Boosts student confidence and progress
- Lightens teacher workload
- Time-saving: print and teach
- Easy prep: only black ink is needed
- Easy to teach, paraeducator-friendly
- Example IEP goals and shorter term objectives
- Consistent & predictable format
- Lots of practice repetitions
- Scaffolded with structured workspaces
- Fewer problems on a page, white space, minimal visual clutter
- Tied to standards
- Explicit/Direct instruction
- Systematic & sequential
- Mastery approach--teaching one topic at a time, one strategy at a time
- Lessons have "I Can" statements, model problems, guided practice, & independent practice
- Each workbook can be used individually as a stand-alone intervention for that skill or they can be used together, taking students from the basics of number sense and addition in first grade all the way to dividing fractions and decimals in fifth grade.
- Can also be used with older students (middle & high school) to help fill the gaps in their learning.
About the Author
Hi! I am a Special Education & Title 1 teacher interested in task analysis. My resources break tasks into small and explicit steps, reducing cognitive load for learners so they can feel successful and confident rather than overwhelmed and reluctant to try. I strive to lighten the workload of teachers by making resources as practical and easy-to-use as possible. I sincerely hope my work can benefit you and your students.
I appreciate your support and feedback.
Copyright © Angela Dansie, All rights reserved. This product is to be used by the original purchaser for single class use only. You may not put this product on the internet where it could be publicly found and downloaded. Copying for more than one teacher, classroom, department, school, or school system is prohibited. If you want to share this resource with colleagues, please purchase additional licenses. Failure to comply is a copyright infringement and a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). Clipart and elements found in this PDF are copyrighted and cannot be extracted and used outside of this file without permission or license. Intended for classroom and personal use only.
These workbook pages have great visuals for my students to help them to remember the steps when adding with regrouping :)