Add and Subtract Numbers to 10 Lesson Workbook
Addition & Subtraction Numbers to 10 (Sums within 20)
79 Step-by-Step Math Lessons | Special Education Math Intervention | 1st Grade Math Level
This Addition and Subtraction to 10 lesson workbook includes an example IEP goal, step-by-step math lessons, reviews and assessments. This evidence-based math intervention is tied to first grade standards and is great for special education math goals and tier 2 small group math interventions (RTI).
These lessons were created for students who need a solid strategy they can rely on for addition and subtraction. Ten frames, number lines, pictures, and even fingers can be helpful when illustrating the concept of addition, but there’s a time when students won’t be able to use these. What can they use if they have difficulty memorizing facts? Tap the dots!
These sequential lessons are easy to teach, with enough material for 24 weeks of instruction!
Click Here to Preview
(Preview PDF will automatically download to your computer. If it doesn't open, you may need to find it in your downloads folder.)
This Lesson Workbook PDF Download Includes:
Students Will Be Able To:
- Add numbers to 9 using the count on strategy with touch dots
- Write a related fact with the addends in a different order (commutative property)
- Memorize the doubles facts (1+1, 2+2, 3+3, etc.)
- Write doubles +1 facts
- Subtract numbers to 9 using the count back strategy with touch dots
- Write related subtraction facts
- Subtract using memorized doubles facts (10 - 5, 8 - 4, 6 - 3, etc.)
- Subtract “neighbor” numbers (9 - 8, 6 - 5, 3 - 2)
Lessons Are Tied to These Standards:
First Grade CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.1.OA.C.5
Relate counting to addition and subtraction. (e.g., by counting on 2 to add 2)
First Grade CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.1.OA.C.6
Add and subtract within 20, demonstrating fluency for addition and subtraction within 10. Use strategies such as counting on; making ten; decomposing a number leading to a ten; using the relationship between addition and subtraction; and creating equivalent but easier or known sums.
First Grade CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.1.OA.B.3
Apply properties of operations as strategies to add and subtract. (These lessons teach the commutative property of addition through related facts.)
Second Grade CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.2.OA.B.2
Fluently add and subtract within 20 using mental strategies. By end of Grade 2, know from memory all sums of two one-digit numbers.
❤️ “I absolutely love this resource! I love how the concepts are broken down and give the students a hands-on strategy. I love how many practice pages per concept as well. I've been looking for a good math intervention program for my students and this one is awesome! My students are making so many gains! I liked this so much I got the entire program!”-Jacqueline R.
❤️ “I love how easy these are to use and the growth my students have shown with these resources!” -Angela J.
❤️ “Thanks so much! Easy to prep and follow. My go-to!” -Megan A.
❤️ “Very helpful when teaching my learning-disabled students. Thank you.” -Growing Special Minds
View More Addition and Subtraction Workbooks
📘 This resource is also found in these discounted bundles:
Not sure where to start?
Step-by-Step Math to Mastery™ Resources:
✰ Make math easier to understand.
- Help students over math hurdles with clear, sequential, scaffolded lessons.
- Prevent overwhelm. Build student confidence.
✰ Make math easier to teach.
- Save hours of planning and piecing together materials.
- Paraeducators can deliver quality instruction independently. Open & teach.
Reasons You'll Love Step-by-Step Math to Mastery™ Resources
- Boosts student confidence and progress
- Lightens teacher workload
- Time-saving: print and teach
- Easy prep: only black ink is needed
- Easy to teach, paraeducator-friendly
- Example IEP goals and shorter term objectives
- Consistent & predictable format
- Lots of practice repetitions
- Scaffolded with structured workspaces
- Fewer problems on a page, white space, minimal visual clutter
- Tied to standards
- Explicit/Direct instruction
- Systematic & sequential
- Mastery approach--teaching one topic at a time, one strategy at a time
- Lessons have "I Can" statements, model problems, guided practice, & independent practice
- Each workbook can be used individually as a stand-alone intervention for that skill or they can be used together, taking students from the basics of number sense and addition in first grade all the way to dividing fractions and decimals in fifth grade.
- Can also be used with older students (middle & high school) to help fill the gaps in their learning.
About the Author
Hi! I am a Special Education & Title 1 teacher interested in task analysis. My resources break tasks into small and explicit steps, reducing cognitive load for learners so they can feel successful and confident rather than overwhelmed and reluctant to try. I strive to lighten the workload of teachers by making resources as practical and easy-to-use as possible. I sincerely hope my work can benefit you and your students.
I appreciate your support and feedback.
Copyright © Angela Dansie, All rights reserved. This product is to be used by the original purchaser for single class use only. You may not put this product on the internet where it could be publicly found and downloaded. Copying for more than one teacher, classroom, department, school, or school system is prohibited. If you want to share this resource with colleagues, please purchase additional licenses. Failure to comply is a copyright infringement and a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). Clipart and elements found in this PDF are copyrighted and cannot be extracted and used outside of this file without permission or license. Intended for classroom and personal use only.